Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pencil Rolls

I made these 2 pencil rolls/holders for 2 special little girls in Nelson for Christmas. I also made one each for Kalem and Talia, but don't have a photo of theirs. The idea is from the fabulous book the Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule. I made them using some thrifted wool jumpers and a rainbow blanket that I had knitted for Lola. These items were all felted in my washing machine, then my handy dandy sewing machine got another work out. I think that I was probably supposed to change my needle and stitch type for thicker material, but I didn't think of that at the time!!! I am still a complete novice after all.....
These little tree's were not my idea I actually saw them on another blog and thought that they were really cool, can't remember which blog though! I hand stitched these together and then onto the pencil roll.
I needle felted this little fairy, Talia's is very similar only her fairy has yellow hair.
12 evenly spaced places (well kinda) for pencils. It is such a great idea as it keeps pencils together and the thick wool felt protects them. The kids were all really thrilled with them which is always a bonus, they even brought them camping. I will definitely be making these again as they make brilliant presents, especially together with the lovely thick eco-pencils that I was lucky enough to come across.

I love making something new from something old, it makes me feel all eco-warrior like inside! Bye for now... X

1 comment:

Claire said...

Ohhh! I have wanted to try those! I have that book too - you have inspired me to give it a go - they look lovely! I like the idea of using knitted things rather than actual felt - the reason I didn't do them to start with was not being able to find felt sheets big enough for the project.

I love the felted fairy! You so soooooo sell your neddle felted stuff Julie - it is so good - mine when I try, is not half as nice! You have a talent for it!

Your fairy is called Tangle Saturnwand
She is a trouble maker.
She lives at the bottom of tangled gardens and in hedgerows.
She is only seen when the seer holds a four-leafed clover.
She wears tangled dresses of multicoloured petals. She has delicate pale pink wings like a cicada.