Thursday, October 23, 2008

A PRESENT FOR ME......

I am very excited to show a photo of my latest purchase, which is a joint birthday/Christmas present for ME! I have actually wanted a sewing machine for as long as I can remember, but have never been able to afford one. In my very first post on this blog I mentioned that one of my goals this year was to learn how to sew and now I can...yay! I have been dreaming about all the lovely clothes that I will be able to make for myself and the kids, not to mention the bags, curtains, duvet covers, purses, cushion cover, etc, etc, etc!! Just one little thing standing in my way and that is I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO USE A SEWING MACHINE. I keep looking at my beautiful new machine, but I am actually too scared to use it. The lady at the shop did give me a quick demonstration, but too be quite honest I was buzzing so much with the excitement of actually buying the machine that I didn't take in a word that she was saying. I'm hoping to get my lovely mother-in-law on board as she has offered to help me, silly her.... I'm probably going to drive her round the bend!!

Isn't she gorgeous............ a good all round basic machine for first timers, or that's how the sales pitch went anyway!!!!

So of course it was off to the library for me to get plenty of sewing books. Look at my stash, Christchurch libraries are amazing, they have the best selection of craft books. I did flick through these last night and found it all quite confusing, but am looking forward to giving it a go. Wish me luck...... X

6 comments:

Heart Felt said...

Yay for you! How exciting, can't wait to see what wonderful things you create with it. xx

Anonymous said...

That's great. Can't wait to see some work.

Kiki said...

WOW! She is gorgeous --- I'm wondering did you buy her from 'Spotlight'? A friend here just purchased a 'Brother' machine on Tuesday, they were going for peanuts she tells me. But hey...she was using her American dollars so I bet it is peanuts for her ha ha ha.

Daisie said...

My advice is to get an old sheet and pracitce, make cushion covers (square things are always good), little shopping style bags and just get used to how the machine moves. And my top tip is don't choose a really hard project as your first and then sew your hand to the machine (as I did) and get paramedics to come and free you as you sit at the table in a pile of vomit because the pain is unbelievable!! I can laugh about it now!!
Happy sewing!
xxx

Melody said...

I'm not a great sewer and I have a sewing machine. It is a comfort thing for me. DOn't do anything that may put you off for life in terms of sewing - slow and steady. Straight lines and elastic make fabulous skirts and dresses for the young girls!

Josie said...

See if you can also check out 'Bend the rules sewing' by Amy Karol. Thats a good book for newbies, lots of starter info :)

Your fairy is called Tangle Saturnwand
She is a trouble maker.
She lives at the bottom of tangled gardens and in hedgerows.
She is only seen when the seer holds a four-leafed clover.
She wears tangled dresses of multicoloured petals. She has delicate pale pink wings like a cicada.