Monday, June 15, 2009

Knit in Public Day 2009.....

Saturday was worldwide knit in public day and I joined in the fun here in Christchurch. What a great day it was too, held at the Dux De Lux and organised by the lovely Amy from The Loop Knittery. It was my first time knitting in public (apart from a couple of rows while camping) and I was quite pleased with my ability to talk and knit at the same time!!!






I had only been there a couple of minutes when I was talked into entering the knitting with spaghetti competition. Blimey it was really hard, basically we were given 2 strands of spaghetti and a length of yarn, the aim being to knit as much as possible in 5 minutes. It is even more difficult than it sounds believe me, but quite a laugh really. You were only allowed the 2 pieces of spaghetti and if they broke you just had to carry on with the small pieces, here is my end result..........


Now I know that it doesn't look like a lot and well, it isn't, I only managed 1 row. Needless to say I didn't win the price for the most knitting, BUT I did win the prize for the neatest knitting with spaghetti!!!! YAY for me and lookey at what I won...................

The most delicious NZ Merino hand dyed yarn from the Loop Knittery and IT'S NOT GREEN......... It is so lovely and I know that it is REALLY sad, but I can't stop looking at them and I may just have to keep them as an ornament and never knit them. I guess that would be a waste, I am thinking maybe another beret/hat of some sort. If anyone knows of any good patterns for 10ply then please let me know.

BUT that's not all, I also received this box of crochet patterns and a World Sweet World magazine. Now I really do have to learn how to crochet...
Here I am with my lovely friend and knitting GURU Gabes and look she is wearing her gorgeous purple Meret. Normally we have the kids with us when we catch up so this was our first time knitting together!!!


I managed to get a few more rows done on my Featherweight Cardigan and it was great being able to knit during the day with no little people around to distract me!!!!

The rest of the weekend was spent visiting friends and hanging out at home. Kalem and I went ice skating on Sunday which had been arranged by his school. It was great fun and Kalem loves it, you should see him go, he is super speedy and not at all afraid of falling over! I managed to stay upright for the whole time and didn't end up embarrassing myself in front of the school mums, there was one very close call though....
Today is being spent indoors with one very sick little girl home from Kindy. Poor little mite has a bad cough and cold and is currently asleep on the couch, bless her!!! No idea when she will be able to go back to kindy as they do not want any children with signs of cold or flu at school or kindy here in NZ at the mo, due to the Swine Flu pandemic. The amount of people getting it here seems to be multiplying daily and it is expected that over 30% of the population will get it, scary hey!!!

Oh well I am off to defrost some blackcurrants to make a sweet tea for when my little on wakes up. Hopefully she will be feeling better after a good sleep! Bye for now....... X

7 comments:

Joanne F said...

Hi Julie - a lurker no more! :) Was lovely to meet you.
A fun day and a fantastic prize for you to head home with - well done.

sweetp said...

COngrats again on your great prize. Look forward to seeing what you make with your lovely yarn!

Nova said...

heh heh i thought you meant knitting with *cooked* spaghetti, instead of yarn!?!hmm perhaps not..

hope talia is feeling better by now!!

gardenmama said...

lol! I was also imagining knitting with cooked spaghetti : ) Congratulations on your lovely prize!!
Hope your little one feels well soon!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all - free yarn always makes fun so much funner (new word!!). Love your Loop yarn, I've been drooling over it on the website. And I agree, it'd make a fab ornament.

Cut&Alter said...

Hope that Talia's feeling better now - it's just no fun for them when they're sick. What a great day you had knitting and what a prize!!! Very envious! x

Jacoline said...

Looks like great fun, we are not in CHCH anymore other wise I love to bee there.

Your fairy is called Tangle Saturnwand
She is a trouble maker.
She lives at the bottom of tangled gardens and in hedgerows.
She is only seen when the seer holds a four-leafed clover.
She wears tangled dresses of multicoloured petals. She has delicate pale pink wings like a cicada.